Lady Vymont’s episode wasn’t fatal, though it left many at the tournament in shock, though those in the know later learned it was attributed to the consumption of feyblood, supposedly to enhance one’s ability to use the Sight. As she was escorted to her chambers, she murmured ominous portends regarding the scepter, a key, and the lady of shadows and blades.
After seeing her safely rested, the group gathered at the far end of the castle grounds to attend the Mage Duels. While the majority was there to watch, Rowan took part in the combat itself, taking out two of the other combatants before falling prey to an unconventional rival, a half-orc that used her magic to simply supplement her strength to force a physical test of prowess on her opponents.
- The group gathered once more on the Meadrun, celebrating the first night of the tournament.
- Rowan parted ways for a short while, heading to the castle gardens where she briefly spoke with the gardener, finding a second strange parchment.
- Vox ran into a girl named Eliza who turned out to be a thief who claimed to be up near the northern ‘edge’. or border, of the kingdom. After speaking to her, the group reclaimed a few stolen goods and tried to extract a promise from Eliza that she wouldn’t steal any further. She avoided the promise and left.
- The next morning, each of the party was in attendance at the king’s breakfast where some of the most influential people in the kingdom ate at the king’s expense. While people were distracted, the scepter vanished from sight.
- The group made an attempt at stopping an invisible thief, a chase that ended at a portal in the garden where the party stepped into a portal leading to a strange shadowy umbra.
- The portal led to an alleyway in a smog-filled slum in a city they eventually learned was built on the inside of a torus ring. After stumbling out of the alley, they found themselves in a wide thoroughfare filled with surly strangers, many of which looked unusual at best and monstrous at worst.
- The group met a ‘tout’, or guide, at the Smoldering Corpse Bar, who gave the group a basic description of the city. After speaking of the city’s ruler, the ‘Lady of Pain’, the tout decided to guide the group to an alley where the Lady’s hands, the dabus, were trimming razorvine. The tout encouraged the group to ask about the Lady. They were then shown an ominous symbol.
- The group was then ambushed by a group of thugs that were promptly defeated. After that, the tout guided them to a fophouse known as the ‘Bleary Rest’.